Thursday, August 11, 2011

Safe/Unsafe

I've seen my fair share of flight safety videos and demonstrations, most of them unmemorable (is that a word?), but on my recent flights to and from South Korea, I flew on Delta airlines, a carrier that I don't often use.

And their in-flight safety video scared the hell out of me.  Both times I had to see it.

A few seconds in, after the innocuous "Delta/Sky Team - Safety First" graphic and the goofy obligatory "Pilot's Welcome" segment, I was met with one of the most terrifying examples of plastic surgery abuse I think I have ever seen.  The main "character" in the video is a woman flight attendant of an unknown age, given the fact that her face is stretched tighter than an artist's canvas, and it's impossible to tell which portions of her face are original or not.  She probably told me how to buckle my seat belt and where the oxygen masks were, but I couldn't focus, given how disarming I found her appearance to be.  I suppose I should give her the benefit of the doubt that maybe she just naturally looks like that, but I would bet up to . . . oh, the price of a round-trip domestic airline ticket, that she has had some kind of cosmetic procedure done.  See the video below, and tell me, does that look normal?  And furthermore, why on EARTH did Delta choose to have her in their safety video?  I felt more scared than safe after being forced to watch this little piece on the plane, because then plastic surgery in general freaks me out.


Also, in a completely unrelated housekeeping note, I have now added "Reactions" buttons to my posts.  Feel free to click away to let me know what you think, and also drop me a line if you think there's a reaction button label that would be useful to add.

No comments: